Skip to main content

Regardless of How I Feel

Oh the havoc that is wrought, and the tragedy, the misery, and the wretchedness that are to be found in the world, simply because people do not know how to handle their own feelings! ~ D. Martin Lloyd-Jones

This week has been a roller coaster of emotions of high's and lows and up until now I've just been riding it out. But God reminded me this morning that His character and truth is not dependent on my ever changing circumstances but on the steadfast and unchanging love of God. As I was reading in my devotional "Living the Cross Centered Life" by C. J. Mahaney it went over this very topic today.

I've done all the personality tests out there, some say I'm an extrovert and some say an introvert. However, most conclude that I am a feeler although I like to think of myself more as a thinker because when I think of feelers I think of whining babies and drama queens. But it's true, I am a feeler. I watched a movie and it moves me and I start crying. When I see injustice, it gets more emotional. That's not a bad thing. However, when it comes to making decisions and living out my faith, I can't always make decisions based on how I'm feeling at the present moment. There's too much I don't understand and I'm not inside other people's heads to know what they are thinking anyway, which if I'm basing my decisions on how I think others are feeling that just leads down the unhealthy road of people-pleasing. My feelings simply cannot be trusted.

And this happens in our spiritual lives too. We go into corporate worship wanting to "experience" God and when we open up our Bible we read words like redemption, Savior, and gospel and if those words don't invoke a feeling we just pass them by hoping for something else to light our fire. And so we simply cannot invest our feelings with final authority as they tend to be unstable, unreliable, and governed by pride. So that's the bad news!

The good news is God gives grace to the humble. Who are the humble? The humble don't ask How do I feel about this? They say I'm not going to let my faith be determined by the subjective and experiential but instead I will believe the objective truth of God's word, regardless of how I feel. So am I saying feelings are bad? Absolutely not, God made us to have them but we have to focus first on God's truth and then let our feelings flow from there because they will be anchored in truth. Mahaney says "as we read and mediate and think seriously about what's in our Bible, and believe and accept it, then ultimately we will experience it, and feel the full effect of it. But if you trust your feelings with final authority-they'll deposit you on the emotional roller coaster which so often characterizes our lives."

So I'm choosing today to believe the truth of God's word, that He is my joy, He is my redeemer, He is my provider, and He will carry me through. Will you believe God's truth today despite what circumstance you're in today? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Place to Call Home: Reflections on Loneliness

...but as servants of God...unknown yet well known 2 Corinthians 6:4-10 excerpt I often wonder what life must have been like for the apostle Paul. He endured countless obstacles and consistent persecution but I find that as I read about his life he counted the cost and had an unexplainable joy deep in the fabric of his heart and nothing could take that away. How is that he could live in such miserable physical conditions and battle loneliness, not just being alone but being misunderstood and unknown by men. The only answer is Jesus. Jesus was his example because that is the life Jesus lived on earth and called His followers to.  Recently, I've found myself in a place of feeling unknown to those around me. I've been many places overseas and all around America. I've lived in third world nations and seen extreme poverty and I've lived in America with extreme material riches. Why is that when I lived in places of material poverty, I found more joy and a closeness ...

Pruned for a Purpose

If you don't regularly journal, I would highly recommend it.  Granted, I process things best by getting them on paper but it's always great to look back and see where you've come from. I feel that I'm at a crossroads in my life.  I'm excited for my future, wherever God might take me and I'm finally able to see the big picture of the last few years. This crazy adventure began in May 2009 in a dirty San Diego hostel talking to a Swiss man about theology and the meaning of life.  That conversation wrecked me.  I realized at that point I had been running on self-righteousness and empty words.  I was confused and wondering who God was and my relation to Him and what the heck this life was about.  I feared telling others that I had questions and doubts.  Thank God for good friends.  Around this time, I talked with my friend Frick. Frick had been praying for me and felt God saying a few things to me.  I wrote down his exact words. "It will ge...