Skip to main content

Showered By God's Love


We come to God for guidance, comfort, peace…whatever it may be.  When you think about it, how many times do we run to God for what He gives us? Give me a job, give me a spouse, give me, give me, give me.  This is a relationship, remember? Think of any friendship or relationship you’ve ever had.  If you go up to that person and say make me dinner, give me compliments, pay for this, that person may stick around for awhile but sooner than later they are going to get tired of the one-sided relationship and leave.  Thank God that He never gets tired of us and is gracious, compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, even when we selfishly come to Him.  But once you get a bigger picture of God’s extravagant love for you, you come to Him just to be with Him, you find pleasure in doing what pleases Him.  I’ll be honest I’m not to that point yet, where I know, like really deeply know, God’s extravagant love for me.  I’m open. 

Hearing God’s voice is interesting.  Many people (and I do this too) come to God saying come speak to me in some big booming voice and open up the heavens and show me what to do. But it should look like this and God you should say this and give me this. Sometimes God does big things like part the waters or turn water to wine but most times it’s in small subtle ways that He speaks.  

Let’s bring it home—I’ve been praying that I can connect with some of the girls here.  It’s been a lonely week as I’ve seen some new friend sub groups starting to form but haven’t felt like I belong to any of them. I’ve left all I’ve known to move overseas..my amazing family and friends where I’m so loved and supported to an unknown place and people.  It’s caused me to completely run to the Lord for affirmation and my worth, yet realizing He’s called me to be in a community of people. After praying that I could connect with three specific girls here that I have a few things in common with, within a few hours of that prayer I was able to have long conversations with both the girls—and the thing is THEY initiated the convo’s. If you know me at all, I’m a huge quality time person and loving sitting and getting to know people on a deeper level which is exactly what happened tonight. I know God is intimately involved in every aspect of my life—whether it’s showing me the next step in life or simply showering me with new friendships on a lonely day.  God is wrecking me and I’m so open to all He has for me. It’s so challenging but so good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Place to Call Home: Reflections on Loneliness

...but as servants of God...unknown yet well known 2 Corinthians 6:4-10 excerpt I often wonder what life must have been like for the apostle Paul. He endured countless obstacles and consistent persecution but I find that as I read about his life he counted the cost and had an unexplainable joy deep in the fabric of his heart and nothing could take that away. How is that he could live in such miserable physical conditions and battle loneliness, not just being alone but being misunderstood and unknown by men. The only answer is Jesus. Jesus was his example because that is the life Jesus lived on earth and called His followers to.  Recently, I've found myself in a place of feeling unknown to those around me. I've been many places overseas and all around America. I've lived in third world nations and seen extreme poverty and I've lived in America with extreme material riches. Why is that when I lived in places of material poverty, I found more joy and a closeness ...

You Are Yourself the Answer

I love this photo. It was taken on a road trip coming from the beautiful mountains in Canada in route back to my home in Montana where I lived at the time. It was a perfect day. Driving through the winding mountain roads, laughing with friends. These were little glimpses of heaven to me. If I could sum up a moment of pure joy, this would be it. I love days like that and the gift they are. But I find that it's days where I've despaired of life that I can sense the Lord drawing me into deeper places with Him. When Hosea 2:14 is my anthem of the Lord taking me into the wilderness to turn my heartbreak valley into acres of hope. He has shown me over the years that He is the fulfillment of all that is lacking in my life, "for where else could I go, He alone has the words of true life". (John 6:68) I remember the days when I sat out by a dumpster all alone to eat on my lunch break and then fast forward to the days I now have amazing coworkers who I get to call frie...

Regardless of How I Feel

Oh the havoc that is wrought, and the tragedy, the misery, and the wretchedness that are to be found in the world, simply because people do not know how to handle their own feelings! ~ D. Martin Lloyd-Jones This week has been a roller coaster of emotions of high's and lows and up until now I've just been riding it out. But God reminded me this morning that His character and truth is not dependent on my ever changing circumstances but on the steadfast and unchanging love of God. As I was reading in my devotional "Living the Cross Centered Life" by C. J. Mahaney it went over this very topic today. I've done all the personality tests out there, some say I'm an extrovert and some say an introvert. However, most conclude that I am a feeler although I like to think of myself more as a thinker because when I think of feelers I think of whining babies and drama queens. But it's true, I am a feeler. I watched a movie and it moves me and I start crying. When I ...