Skip to main content

The War Has Already Been Won

We’re all looking for grace.  For someone to look at us and say “You’re okay.  I accept you where you’re at." But who cares for you too much to let you stay there and wants to see you grow.  But it doesn't come from harsh critiques on how you need to get your act together or pointing out everything you do wrong. But by simply showing up consistently, caring for you, lovingly correcting at times, and ultimately pointing you to Jesus for your identity. Yes, humans are fallible.  We all make mistakes.  Our good intentions of helping sometimes end up hurting.  Only Jesus is our perfect picture of grace but as humans, specifically Christians, it is our call to extend grace. Grace for ourselves and grace for others. 

I’m in a battle. A battle that has waged war on my heart for years now.  Before I didn’t even know I was in a battle because I was just surrendering to my enemy without realizing it.  But now my eyes are opened.  But the thing is, even with my eyes open, I still all too often surrender to my enemy. My enemy is subtle, pretending to be my best confidant, luring me in, convincing me that this and that will make me so much happier than what God offers. And the fact is that most times I have to wait on God to provide for me.  I mean who likes to wait? Not me. I justify. I give in. I settle for the here and now.  I don’t even know what victory looks like, let alone the first step.

“I lift my eyes—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Ps. 121:1-2

Maybe I just haven’t asked the Commander for the proper equipment in order to fight this battle...

“Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the powers of this dark world. Put on the full armor and stand. Stand firm. Stand with the belt of truth around your waist. Stand with the breastplate of righteousness in place.  Stand with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  Stand with the shield of faith to extinguish flaming arrows from the enemy.  Stand with the helmet of salvation.  Stand with the sword of the Spirit, the word of God. And pray. Pray about everything.” Eph 6:10-18

There's an interesting passage in 2 Kings 6 that I love.  A large army is coming to attack Israel and Elisha, a prophet who had warned the king of Israel of the attack. They are surrounded. Elisha's servant in panic comes to Elisha and asks what they are to do since their army is outnumbered.  Elisha, in calmness, says not to be afraid and that those who are with us are more than those with them. And he prays that the Lord would open the servant's eyes.  The servant then looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around, a band of angel armies. God would fight this battle. They needed only to trust Him.

I know who stands before me.  I know who stands behind. The God of angel armies is always on my side. The Lord is my light and my salvation.  Whom shall I fear? We are more than conquerors through Him who loves us! Yes, I'm in a battle but the war has already been won.  I need only trust and rely on the One who continues to fight for me, fight for my good.

13 days and counting then I'm Aussie bound!

Comments

  1. Good luck, Wanda and I will be praying for you, while you are there try not to try and figure out why god has put you there at that time and place, he will show you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Place to Call Home: Reflections on Loneliness

...but as servants of God...unknown yet well known 2 Corinthians 6:4-10 excerpt I often wonder what life must have been like for the apostle Paul. He endured countless obstacles and consistent persecution but I find that as I read about his life he counted the cost and had an unexplainable joy deep in the fabric of his heart and nothing could take that away. How is that he could live in such miserable physical conditions and battle loneliness, not just being alone but being misunderstood and unknown by men. The only answer is Jesus. Jesus was his example because that is the life Jesus lived on earth and called His followers to.  Recently, I've found myself in a place of feeling unknown to those around me. I've been many places overseas and all around America. I've lived in third world nations and seen extreme poverty and I've lived in America with extreme material riches. Why is that when I lived in places of material poverty, I found more joy and a closeness ...

You Are Yourself the Answer

I love this photo. It was taken on a road trip coming from the beautiful mountains in Canada in route back to my home in Montana where I lived at the time. It was a perfect day. Driving through the winding mountain roads, laughing with friends. These were little glimpses of heaven to me. If I could sum up a moment of pure joy, this would be it. I love days like that and the gift they are. But I find that it's days where I've despaired of life that I can sense the Lord drawing me into deeper places with Him. When Hosea 2:14 is my anthem of the Lord taking me into the wilderness to turn my heartbreak valley into acres of hope. He has shown me over the years that He is the fulfillment of all that is lacking in my life, "for where else could I go, He alone has the words of true life". (John 6:68) I remember the days when I sat out by a dumpster all alone to eat on my lunch break and then fast forward to the days I now have amazing coworkers who I get to call frie...

Regardless of How I Feel

Oh the havoc that is wrought, and the tragedy, the misery, and the wretchedness that are to be found in the world, simply because people do not know how to handle their own feelings! ~ D. Martin Lloyd-Jones This week has been a roller coaster of emotions of high's and lows and up until now I've just been riding it out. But God reminded me this morning that His character and truth is not dependent on my ever changing circumstances but on the steadfast and unchanging love of God. As I was reading in my devotional "Living the Cross Centered Life" by C. J. Mahaney it went over this very topic today. I've done all the personality tests out there, some say I'm an extrovert and some say an introvert. However, most conclude that I am a feeler although I like to think of myself more as a thinker because when I think of feelers I think of whining babies and drama queens. But it's true, I am a feeler. I watched a movie and it moves me and I start crying. When I ...