Skip to main content

A Day to Celebrate

January 28, 2012…I set out for a Saturday morning run with the running group.  All was set to go.  I was in the beginning stages of training for my first marathon. A big turnout that day.  I thought I'll show them how awesome a runner I am.  God had other plans that day.  My shattered, prideful ego was humbled as I ended up getting a minor injury and having to hobble back to my car. Angry and at that time in life, very bitter towards God, I found myself literally yelling out my frustrations and asking how He could allow this injury to happen. But there was more at work than just the injury. Awhile later, I get back to my car as the group was starting to finish their run. I went up to a friend who didn't really know much about what was going on in my life and asked if I could pray with him.  It was a simple prayer: "God I don't know what surrender looks like, but I want to surrender. I want to trust You.  I'm miserable trying to be my own god. I give you my life. I know I'll make mistakes but remind me of your grace. Amen."

That was one year ago today. I was planning to reach out to that same friend today that I prayed with that day.  I don't see or talk to him that often but wanted to thank him for praying with me. As soon as I woke up this morning, out of the blue, he reached out to me, saying that he was thinking of me this morning and hoped that I was doing well, not even knowing that it was exactly a year ago today that I prayed with him to surrender my life to Christ. I couldn't stop smiling. I reminded him of the significance of today and he said no wonder God laid me on his heart this morning.

The journey over the last year has been challenging yet so amazing.  Each day I'm learning and growing more and more like Christ and being surprised with the little reminders of His extravagant love for me. While I've healed for the most part from the injury, there's still some very minor pain.  I like to think it's the "thorn in my flesh" to keep me humble, to remember God's grace is sufficient for me, and that I can't find my identity in anything or anyone besides Him. I'm excited to take that undeserved love and grace that I've been given and share it with a broken world so desperate for love. Perfect love. God's love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Place to Call Home: Reflections on Loneliness

...but as servants of God...unknown yet well known 2 Corinthians 6:4-10 excerpt I often wonder what life must have been like for the apostle Paul. He endured countless obstacles and consistent persecution but I find that as I read about his life he counted the cost and had an unexplainable joy deep in the fabric of his heart and nothing could take that away. How is that he could live in such miserable physical conditions and battle loneliness, not just being alone but being misunderstood and unknown by men. The only answer is Jesus. Jesus was his example because that is the life Jesus lived on earth and called His followers to.  Recently, I've found myself in a place of feeling unknown to those around me. I've been many places overseas and all around America. I've lived in third world nations and seen extreme poverty and I've lived in America with extreme material riches. Why is that when I lived in places of material poverty, I found more joy and a closeness ...

You Are Yourself the Answer

I love this photo. It was taken on a road trip coming from the beautiful mountains in Canada in route back to my home in Montana where I lived at the time. It was a perfect day. Driving through the winding mountain roads, laughing with friends. These were little glimpses of heaven to me. If I could sum up a moment of pure joy, this would be it. I love days like that and the gift they are. But I find that it's days where I've despaired of life that I can sense the Lord drawing me into deeper places with Him. When Hosea 2:14 is my anthem of the Lord taking me into the wilderness to turn my heartbreak valley into acres of hope. He has shown me over the years that He is the fulfillment of all that is lacking in my life, "for where else could I go, He alone has the words of true life". (John 6:68) I remember the days when I sat out by a dumpster all alone to eat on my lunch break and then fast forward to the days I now have amazing coworkers who I get to call frie...

Regardless of How I Feel

Oh the havoc that is wrought, and the tragedy, the misery, and the wretchedness that are to be found in the world, simply because people do not know how to handle their own feelings! ~ D. Martin Lloyd-Jones This week has been a roller coaster of emotions of high's and lows and up until now I've just been riding it out. But God reminded me this morning that His character and truth is not dependent on my ever changing circumstances but on the steadfast and unchanging love of God. As I was reading in my devotional "Living the Cross Centered Life" by C. J. Mahaney it went over this very topic today. I've done all the personality tests out there, some say I'm an extrovert and some say an introvert. However, most conclude that I am a feeler although I like to think of myself more as a thinker because when I think of feelers I think of whining babies and drama queens. But it's true, I am a feeler. I watched a movie and it moves me and I start crying. When I ...